This is why I haven’t even touched the computer in nearly a month. Sometimes you just get so wrapped up in a quilting project that you just can’t tear yourself away. During the past month, my poor hubby has even had to make his own dinner some nights. It’s a good thing that he understands my obession.
If you haven’t read the story behind this quilt, check out my post “The Next Challenge”. Each of the blocks for the “Flying Dove” quilt require 16 half square triangles, so a total of 896 for the queen-sized quilt. The hard part is the majority of them were made from my deceased sister’s scraps which were too small to use the handy shortcut that makes them 8 at a time. I did have to add some fabric from my own scraps and stash as well as a few fat quarters, so it wasn’t as bad as it could have been, but still very time consuming. But the finished product was worth all the work.
This is a photo of all the pieces ready to be assembled.
And this is the finished quilt:
The sad thing is when I hung it on the wall to photograph it, I noticed in the lower right hand quadrant, that in two blocks I have the half-square triangles in the center of the block instead of the outside! I was devastated because it would be impossible to take it apart and redo those two blocks to fix it especially because I mitered the borders. I can’t believe this got past me since I carefully inspected each block multiple times and had them all hung on the wall to make sure everything looked good and didn’t have identical pieces of the fabric right next to each other. The only excuse I can think of is I was crosseyed from trying to get the half-square triangles all pointing in the right direction.