A few months ago, I signed up to do a mystery quilt Quilt Along at the blog From My Carolina Home. (https://frommycarolinahome.wordpress.com/) It was supposed to be finished by September, and I couldn’t figure out why it was taking me so long to complete mine. I was following the directions to make a twin sized quilt, and it seemed like there were just an endless number of pieces to cut and sew together. Once I started putting blocks up on the design wall, I figured out why it was taking forever. The directions actually made a queen sized quilt!
Here is a close up of one of the blocks, showing that I ended up using two different background fabrics because I ran out of the swirly looking one about two-thirds into the project. Fortunately, I had two fabrics with very similar colors in my stash. The rest of the quilt was made totally from scraps, and even though there are so many pieces, it didn’t even make a dent in my scrap bins.
Here is a photo of the completed top:
I just love how this quilt turned out. It was worth all the effort put into it, including having to tear out one row of one of the blocks after the top was completed because the HSTs in that row were facing the wrong direction and ruined the pattern in that section. At least I found it before it was quilted and bound.
Still knocking names for it around in my head. One is “No Kitchen Sink” and another is “Quiltaholic goes Scrap Happy”, but we’ll see. Now I have to go back to half square triangle hell (see 1280 HSTs on the wall post previously) that I took a break from a couple of weeks ago in order to complete this top. So, stand by, I might actually finish that quilt soon. One can always hope.