Sadly, I haven’t had a whole lot of time to quilt lately because I have a lot of end of/beginning of the year responsibilities, including duties as the volunteer bookkeeper for my church, personal income tax stuff to gather for our accountant, 24 fruit trees and around 60 rosebushes to prune! I have no idea why I decided to plant so many rose bushes, but they are certainly lovely when they are in bloom. Besides, I have really been at one of those seasons that I’m sure most quilters have where you just feel dry and uninspired. So, I have tackled only a few small projects in the last couple of months.
I found the pattern and instructions for these really cute butterfly potholders above in one of my favorite quilt stores. The pattern is “Flutterby Pot Holders” by Valori Wells. Since I needed some items to add to my quilt guild’s monthly raffle basket, I decided these would be a nice addition. Besides, it gave me another opportunity to use up a few scraps out of the ever overflowing scrap bins. They were really fun and pretty easy to make. I most enjoyed the design opportunities of picking just the right fabrics. And of course, as always I learned something in the process. This time I learned the reason to clip you curves before you turn something right side out through a very small opening. I totally forgot to do that on the purple and orange butterfly, and you can see that the tail and the top of the “head” aren’t nearly as nicely defined as on the peacock butterfly. But it was so difficult to turn these right side out, that I wasn’t about to fix the mistake. We’ll just call this, not a mistake, but a variation.
The next set of potholders I decided to make were inspired by a saying I spotted in a magazine. This Sunday, our pastor is away with the youth group up at a Christian snow camp in the High Sierras, so one of our Elders will be in charge of the service. He has decided he wants to do an old fashioned Bible quiz, and asked me to figure out small prizes to give out. Why does everyone seem to think that I am the answerer of all questions? I don’t know, but I put my thinking cap on, and came up with these potholders.
Again, using scraps out of the overflowing bins, the one on the left is a raw edge applique technique that I’ve used a couple of times to make entire quilts. It’s a lot of fun to make and pretty easy. As a matter of fact, I was asked to teach the technique to the kids during our summer learn to quilt classes at our little rural Hall. At that time, instead of making an entire quilt, we thought it would be fun for the kids to make them into potholders and did it as a quilt as you go project since the applique technique really lends itself to doing that.
The things I learned doing this project is how to use my digitizing software to make the lettering curve around the design on the blue potholder. I’ve had my digitizing software for around 17 years, and I am really just now learning how to do more than simple lettering. The other thing I learned is the tool I use for joining the ends of my binding, The Binding Tool by TQM Products, doesn’t work very well on such small projects since you have to leave a 12 inch opening to manipulate your binding and trim it just the right way. The largest side of the potholder on the right was only 11 1/2 inches, so that idea was out. I used my old, far inferior way of joining binding, which involved tucking the last end into the first end which is ironed at the correct angle….very bulky, and it shows at the top right. But it looked okay, so I let it go. On the blue potholder, I learned how to adjust the tool, and got it to line up really closely. The binding, once joined, was about a 16th of an inch too long, so I took up the excess by reworking the nearest corner. I think it came out much better.
The last project I’ve gotten done recently was this quilt that I made specifically to donate for the silent auction to benefit the rural museum that some of the local residents have been working on getting up and running for many years to preserve the history of our area. So far they have one building up filled with items on display as well as a couple dozen vintage farm apparatus. When driving by quickly, the outdoor display kind of reminds me of scenes from Star Wars so bizarre looking is some of the equipment.
Anyway, here is the quilt, which I named “Riding Till the Cows Come Home” since the back it a print of cattle milling about, doing what cows do.
The learning experience on this one was adapting a pattern that I’ve used before, Labyrinth by Calico Carriage Quilt Designs, Debbie Maddy designer. I absolutely love the interwoven effect. Here is how the original pattern looks:
The bidding was hot and heavy and the quilt was the most popular item donated. Now they’ve asked me to make a quilt for the next fundraiser in March. I think I’ve created a monster. But I don’t mind because I really do love quilting. The biggest challenge is they hoped I would do one with a covered wagon somewhere on it. I looked on line and the only fabric I could find was an expensive piece of vintage fabric. I think they are just going to have to take what they get. I’m sure as soon as I’m done, a lot of fabric lines will come out with covered wagons. It always happens.