Late last summer, Gnorman came to live in my garden. At first I was happy that he had chosen my garden to inhabit, hoping he would chase away the resident rodents who were being so destructive to the vegetable crops not to mention flower bulbs. Gnorman even brought his own little shovel to dig out the rodent holes and evict them. After awhile, though, strange events began to occur. We put in a “beach” area next to our pond, just because we could and because it gave a nice spot where you could walk right up to the edge of the pond to view the goldfish hiding under the waterlilies. I thought it would be a nice to touch to sprinkle some of those sparkly flat marbles among the gravel just because I’m one of those “oh, look! Something shiny!” kind of people. Here is how our little beach path looks.
As you can see, we also have quite a collection of large seashells around the sides of the pathways, not to mention quite a few stray plants growing in the middle. Ack! More weeding to do. My wonderful husband and his grandmother have always collected shells and pretty rocks, and the smaller items I display in a vintage glass cover for a ceiling light fixture which is placed just out of sight of this photo. This is where one of the strange events started occurring. I kept finding small shells scattered along the pathways of the garden in danger of being stepped on and broken. I would always place them back in their proper place, and the next day they would be running amok again. Then my husband would come into my quilting room and hand me a handful of the shiny flat marbles stating he had found them two or three hundred feet out in the pasture. I even found some near the trees in our orchard, a hundred feet from the garden area. Then this morning, I went outside to pull weeds, and found proof of who was moving things about in the dead of night.
The evidence is clearly sitting on the raised bed timber for all to see. You can see Gnorman in the background pretending he knows nothing about it, but I think we all can see, he’s been caught!
Believe it or not, I haven’t spent all my time lately playing in the garden. I have been quilting away like a madwoman as well, but spring fever has definitely set in here on California’s Central Coast. Things haven’t looked this lovely for years, thanks to the ton of rainfall that we’ve been blessed with this last season, continuing up to this past week when we got almost two tenths of an inch. I know it doesn’t sound like much to most folks, but when your rainfall average for an entire season is only 16 inches, every drop makes a difference. So far this season, we have received 21.09 inches. Two seasons ago, it was less than 3 inches for the entire season. Some of our neighbors who live in the more hilly areas have nearly 30 inches. As a result of all the rain, our wisteria and lilacs have never looked better. Here is a quick sampling of the eye candy.
Wisteria. Can’t you just smell the fragrance?
Rosa banksia (Lady Banks Rose) which blooms only once a year but is spectacular for a few weeks in the spring.
This photo was taken from the farthest Southwest corner of the garden looking towards the orchard which is the tree in the background that has yellowish green foilage. As you can see, all of our 60 something roses are about to explode into full bloom, the smoky orange on the right is my Laura Bush bush. You can also see a little peak of purple wildflowers left on the hill on the far side of the road. Sadly, the hills and wildflowers are just starting to dry up now that the weather is hitting the mid-80s during the day. One last photo of a red-tailed hawk I caught soaring in the skies above our home.
As far as quilting, I have been working on a quilt for the person who won the custom made quilt that I raffle off every December to benefit the youth group at our church. This December’s winner is a lady who belongs to my quilter’s anonymous group (quilt guild), so I feel pressured to get it perfect. She provided the pattern and most of the fabric. I added some fabric from my own collection because I just couldn’t resist going with the theme, which is fall leaves sewn into a very interesting Log Cabin quilt pattern. It required me to figure out how to make trapezoids, a totally new skill for me. In addition, the pattern made the quilt 58 inches square, and she wants it to be a 40 inch long by 70 inch wide wall hanging. This required a bit of a redesign once the center of the quilt was done, but I think I have met the challenge. I don’t want to post any photos just yet because she does read my blog on occasion. I probably will have to break down and send her a photo later today to see if she approves of what I’m planning to do for the last border, though I usually try to save the finished result as a surprise for the recipient. Oh, well, sometimes you can’t have it all. I guess I better get back to finishing up that border.